The average citizen relies on free content when looking for relevant information on the Internet. Content that educates, entertains, and engages drives traffic to a website and boosts sales. With over 3 million blog posts published every day, content marketing presents itself as an invaluable tool for successfully marketing a business.
Lori Wizdo, Vice President and Principal Analyst of Forrester, said “74% of business buyers told us they conduct more than half of their research online before making an offline purchase. This buyer dynamic changes the role of B2B marketing in a fundamental way.”
Buyers have more autonomy and control over their purchasing decisions. They depend on content to lead them to a company whose goals and objectives match their own. This is where content marketing comes into play.
What Is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is one of the many Internet advertising strategies and goes hand in hand with search engine optimization (SEO). It doesn’t matter whether your website is the best looking, quickest to load, or most mobile-friendly. If your website does not have relevant content, it has no substance and is nothing but an empty shell.
Content marketing strategies include:
- Blogs (e.g. listicles, how-tos, interviews, and guides)
- Case Studies
- White paper
The graph shows the different types of content that B2B marketers use to implement their content marketing strategies. The top six most popular posts with the highest percentages of use: social media posts (94%); case studies (73%); pre-produced videos (72%); Ebooks and white papers (71%); infographics (65%), and illustrations or photos (56%). Taking into consideration that the primary goals of content marketing are brand awareness, customer acquisition, lead generation, and customer retention and loyalty, sharing posts on social media is considered the best means to meet these objectives. However, this is most likely because companies use social media to amplify other forms of content including infographics, blogs, photos, and videos.
One of the key strategies for SEO is keyword integration. Content is the vessel within which the necessary keywords are placed in order to draw in visitors to your site.
How Can Content Marketing Increase Profits?
Businesses can take advantage of content marketing to:
- Boost Brand Awareness
Billions of people use the Internet to search for the products and services they need. Content marketing allows you to reach those who are looking for the product that you are offering. By creating useful, relevant, and up-to-date content, you give your target audience with a gateway to discovering your offers and how they can solve their problems.
Quality content will get you recognized by search engines as a trusted source of information. This increases the likelihood of your content featuring in the top ranks of search engine results pages.
Strategies to increase awareness include:
– Creating service pages
– Writing blog posts that address the needs of potential clients and offer solutions
– Publishing an About page that highlights your company’s vision-mission, experience in the industry, licenses or certifications, and features that set you apart from competitors
– Adding relevant company details throughout
– Guest posting on other sites
– Increasing content shareability by strategic positioning of social media buttons in posts
– Sharing content on various social media platforms
- Nurture Relationships with Customers
Content marketing is a powerful tool that can help you establish your company as a trusted authority and expert in your industry. Search engines like Google reserve the top placements in the search engine result pages for those with unique, engaging, and reliable content. If Google trusts you, users will too.
Companies that actively share their content on social media will also have more consumer engagement. If a business is accessible and responsive to customers, they will have placed themselves squarely at the top of their customers’ minds. When they run into a problem your industry can fix, they will think to turn to your company first.
Do this by:
– Providing well-researched, original, factual, and up-to-date content
– Adding customer testimonials in your site
– Repurposing testimonials as case studies
– Registering at an online directory and inputting all the necessary details
– Including pictures of products, staff, facilities, and previous projects (before and after photos)
– Post links to your content on social media
- Get the Best Bang for Your Buck
Since the popularity of the Internet skyrocketed, other traditional means of marketing have taken a dip. Though they may still remain relevant in the digital age, they are no longer the most effective means of getting the highest return on your investments. That now belongs to digital marketing, which is:
– Cost-effective – Traditional media, like TV and radio, can be extremely pricey, costing over $6,000 per month. If you choose to hire an SEO agency to handle your digital marketing campaign for you, you can pay as little as $1000 per month in Canada for excellent service.
If you choose to do it yourself, with the exception of pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, marketing on the Internet can be done for free. After paying the annual fees of acquiring a domain, you can build a website using online templates, a simple content management system (CMS) like WordPress, social media, and other online tools without exhausting marketing funds. The cost of creating content is time. Content marketing prices are 62% less than outbound marketing while generating more than three times as many leads.
– Flexible – In addition, the Internet is a highly versatile medium that allows you to share your products and services in a myriad of ways.
– Long-term – With digital marketing, you’re in it for the long haul. So long as your domain continues to be active and your pages don’t get penalized, your marketing efforts will remain accessible for visitors even 10 years down the line.
– Wide-reaching – With over 228 million searches per hour on Google alone, the Internet gives you access to the widest pool of audiences of any media. At the same time, it gives you the ability to target your preferred market.
In this video, Neil Patel walks you through the content marketing scene in 2019. He shares a few tips on how content marketers can make it work for a business in their efforts to rank content in the hyper-competitive blogosphere that has been saturated with over a billion blog. In 2019, content won’t rank as well as it used to. Factors like authority, user metrics, and content age matter. Patel recommends creating up-to-date content regularly. He warns against regurgitating the same topics repeatedly and stresses the importance of creating fresh content. He also emphasizes prioritizing video and audio-based content over text-based ones while recommending uploading the content on different platforms instead of just sharing a link. Patel believes that promoting content is crucial and that content marketers should spend only 20% of the time writing and 80% doing promotions. Lastly, he suggests getting shares in the various social media platforms.
With the majority of potential B2B clients relying on online content to influence buying decisions, businesses should focus on boosting their content marketing strategy. Produce strong and valuable content so you can transform potential clients into loyal customers. This, along with other SEO strategies, can help your business grow exponentially.
SEO, however, can be tasking and is a full-time job in itself. Businesses of any size can benefit from the assistance of content marketing experts. You can choose to set up a department dedicated to this or outsource it to experts in your area. Whichever you choose, make sure they are reliable and have the necessary experience and skills so you can rest assured that your business is in good hands.